Welcome to Mackellar Primary School, I have the privledge of being the Principal of Mackellar Primary School, where 455 students are supported and nurtured into becoming lifelong learners.
Our school community is very diverse and we celebrate our differences through a 21st Century Learning Environment. Our expansive school grounds and modern, well equipped classrooms provide an ideal setting for all of our students to ‘Learn and Grow Together‘. It is with great pride that I introduce you to our inspiring and dedicated students and staff. At Mackellar we foster and cultivate partnerships between students, teachers, parents and other carers to provide a highly inclusive learning environment where we provide students with an innovative and engaging curriculum.
Reporting to the Community
The Child Safe Standards (the Standards) are compulsory minimum standards for all organisations that provide services to children including Victorian schools. The aim of the Standards is to ensure organisations are well prepared to protect children from abuse and neglect. It is recognised that many schools will have existing policies and procedures that aim to keep children safe.
The Standards provide a framework to identify gaps and improve policy and practices around child safety. On 26 November 2015, the Victorian Parliament passed the Child Wellbeing and Safety Amendment (Child Safe Standards) Bill 2015, which amended the Child Safety and Wellbeing Act 2005 to introduce the Child Safe Standards that would apply to all organisations involved in child related work in Victoria.
The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) as regulator for all Victorian schools has responsibility for ensuring compliance with the Child Safe Standards in schools. The Standards are:
- Standard 1: Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety
- Standard 2: A child safety policy or a statement of commitment to child safety
- Standard 3: A Child Safety Code of Conduct
- Standard 4: Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse
- Standard 5: Procedures for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Standard 6: Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
- Standard 7: Strategies to promote child participation and empowerment.
Our school zone
Our school zone is available on findmyschool.vic.gov.au. Findmyschool.vic.gov.au hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones for 2020 onwards.
Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address.
The Department provides guidance through the School Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations.
You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under School zones.
To enrol in Mackellar Primary School your child must turn 5 years old by April 30th in the year they begin school. To enrol, you will need:
- Proof of your child’s identity, such as birth certificate.
- An immunisation certificate.
- Proof of residency.
- If your child was born overseas, proof of your Visa status or citizenship.
Enrolment forms are available from the Administration office.